Saturday, September 1, 2012

Bacon and Leek Scones



Today happens to be Bacon Day! Every Saturday before Labor Day, bacon lovers unite to celebrate! There are fun events taking place across the US including; Bacon Festival in Hudson, NY, chocolate covered bacon and sweet treats by Peterbrooke Chocolatier in Winter Park, Fla. My very first Nomsense blog post, 'Chocolate Chip Cookies with Bits of Bacon!' was inspired by Bacon Crack, created by Kai Kronfeld of Nosh This out in San Francisco. I love bacon! I remember my first chocolate with bacon experience. I was traveling for work in Kalamazoo, MI. back in 2007/08', when I stopped in at a quaint sandwich shop and spotted an array of unique chocolate bars by Vosges. I agonized over which to try. I went with Mo's Milk Chocolate Bacon Bar after I was told that it was the most popular. I was blown away by the concoction! I can only imagine how intoxicating the Vosges factory smells with dizzying wafts of chocolate and bacon! Chicago is serious about their bacon. The location of an annual bacon extravaganza which takes place in April. Start planning your trip for Bacon Fest, Chicago 2013! Did you know that there is a Royal Bacon Society ?! Also, for this weekend only, you can order a limited edition Bacon Skyline T-shirt at ThinkGeek.com

I decided to utilize the bacon and leeks I had in my fridge to try and make some savory scones. I followed a recipe by a wonderful blogger, The Baker's Daughter. I of course modified a couple of things, but the most important take away lesson for making delicious, flaky scones is to be sure that your butter is cold. Cool the leeks and bacon completely, and throw the dough in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes if it becomes too warm. I also made some mini scones, and used muffin tins for baking. I omitted the cheese as there is already plenty of fat from the bacon...but, I am sure it would be a great addition! Your kitchen will be smelling like fall after making these delicious scones!


Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
2/3 cup milk
3/4 cup chopped leeks
4 rashers of bacon
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (optional) 
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or grease muffin tins.

Cook your bacon until it is slightly crispy.  Remove the bacon from the pan and drain the fat.  Cook the leeks in the same pan in 1 tbsp of the bacon fat, adding a 1/4 tsp of cracked black pepper.  Cook the leeks until they are soft and slightly translucent.  Set aside to cool.  In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the cold butter to the flour mixture, and using your fingertips blend until a coarse crumb forms.  Add the milk and mix until just combined.  Dough will be sticky. 
Add bacon to the scone mixture, along with the leeks and a 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese.  Gently fold in all the ingredients and turn out the dough onto a well floured surface.  Pat the dough into a 1/2 inch thick round and using a cutter, cut out 6 circles.  Place in muffin tins (or baking sheet) and sprinkle the tops with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese (optional). For the mini scones, I formed them with by hand and placed in the mini tins. You may want to place dough in the freezer for a few minutes if the dough becomes too warm while the scones are baking. 

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned on the tops and bottoms. Store in airtight container in the fridge. Reheat before eating.
mmm..bacon!

leeks cooking in bacon fat

delicious combination

nice, crumbly dough

mini scones!

 Look at that bacon!



Enjoy! Happy Bacon Day!!



1 comment:

Nomsense is on Facebook!